START A CSA PICKUP SITE IN YOUR AREA!
Wish our Southern Illinois CSA pickup location was more convenient for you? Want to get a discount on your CSA share costs? You can become the Host of a Ryder Family Farm CSA pickup site! Site hosts make our share pickup more accessible for others and they save money off the cost of their own shares.
Need a refresher on what our Southern Illinois CSA share is all about? Click here.
Are you running to and from kids activities all week long? What if there was a CSA pickup scheduled at that softball game or dance rehearsal? Or maybe a CSA drop at your workplace would be most convenient. Would your coworkers also enjoy weekly deliveries of produce? Talk to folks about signing up.
To become the host of a pickup site for our Southern Illinois CSA, you must have a safe, covered area at your location where boxes can be dropped off and protected from both rain, sun and critters. A covered porch is ideal.
As the Host of a pickup site, YOU:
- Decide the best way to host your pickup site.
- Are not required to supervise or be home when members pick up their order.
- Are the contact person for the pickup site. You are given a contact list of all members assigned to your location and may receive calls from CSA members or the CSA Manager on or around the date of delivery if there is an issue with a box.
- May choose to be listed on our website as a public location (i.e. any member can sign up to pick their order up at your site), or choose to operate as a private site (only friends and family may pick up orders at your site). Either way, your exact address will only be given to members who are signed up at your site. Only an approximate location of your site will be shared with the public.
- Must receive and hold the reused CSA boxes each week until the next delivery.
- May report any unruly behavior to the CSA Manager.
In some cases we can deliver shares to your pickup site for free!
- For share delivery within 1 hr/ about 40 miles of us you must recruit at least four other CSA members to pick-up at your site. Locations that are within this 40 mile radius include: Paducah, Kentucky, Metropolis, Illinois, Vienna, Illinois, Harrisburg, Illinois, etc.
- For share delivery further than the 1 hr/ about 40 mile radius but no more than 2 hrs away you must recruit at least nine other CSA members to pick up at your site. Locations that are within this 40 mile radius include: Carbondale, Illinois, Marion, Illinois, Marion, Kentucky, Mount Vernon, Indiana, Carmi, Illinois, etc.
ADDITIONAL CSA DROP COORDINATION INFORMATION:
Time Frame. We provide you an approximate time frame when we can deliver to your site and when members may stop by to pick up their boxes. To preserve freshness share pickup needs to immediately follow our delivery to you. This drop time information will be listed in our directory for members to see. You do not need to be home during the delivery.
No-Shows. If a member does not pick up their share by 8pm on the date of delivery, and if prior arrangements are not made, the share is turned over to you, the pickup site host.
Location. Allocate a space, (i.e. your backyard, deck, porch, etc.,) for the CSA shares. Boxes must be kept in the shade and have cover from the rain. Set up a routine so your members know where to find their share. You may take a hands-on or hands-off role in the distribution of the shares. If you wish to change the location of the CSA shares, please contact the CSA Manager and any CSA members who are currently picking up at your site.
Away on Vacation. If you are unable to accept deliveries to your site while you are away on vacation, please make arrangements for a different member to host a temporary pickup site at their residence.
Discounts. As outlined above, some pickup site hosts receive delivery free of charge. Additionally, you will receive the following discounts depending on the number of members signed up to pick up at your site:
10% off your CSA subscription if you have 5 members or more pick up at your site;
15% off if you have 7 members or more;
25% off if you have 10 members or more;
50% if you have 12 members, or;
FREE if you have 15 members or more.
Deadline for Discounts. Discounts will be applied during the first week of delivery. Hosts will pay in full and be reimbursed the amount of their discount in the form of a check once discounts are calculated or they may choose to apply their discount amount to future orders with The Ryder Family Farm.
TO GET STARTED AS A PICKUP SITE HOST:
- Get yourself signed up for a share & make a note on your signup form about the new pickup site you are working to coordinate.
- Talk to people you know about the concept of our CSA. This post will help you.
- Print out our member agreement to share with folks you talk to (member agreement is in the link above).
- Have people write your name and the location of the new pickup site on their own signup forms.
- Have folks send signup forms and payments to us by mail.
- When we get payments and signup forms noting your pickup site we will let you know